About our coalition
The Coalition for a Better Business Environment is an alliance to promote innovative climate policy.
We represent diverse sectors of the economy and community. And while you might not normally think of us as like-minded, the Transportation and Climate Initiative (TCI) makes sense for all of our interests. TCI is a collaboration of Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states and the District of Columbia, that seeks to improve transportation, develop the clean energy economy and reduce carbon emissions from the transportation sector.
This coalition will work to encourage all participating states to take the necessary executive, legislative and regulatory steps to participate in the program once it is finalized. We support TCI because we believe that:
- TCI is an important step forward in tackling one of the most pressing issues of our time –climate change. Well-designed carbon pricing programs are the most efficient and cost-effective way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and a regional program like TCI would be a major step towards a broader, economy-wide program.
- Investment in improving the TCI region’s transportation infrastructure can yield multiple benefits for the economy, our employees and our customers. In addition to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, a cleaner transportation system can facilitate transport of goods and services, drive economic development, improve public health, and stimulate innovation in and deployment of low-carbon transportation technologies.
- TCI’s carbon pricing plan provides the predictability businesses need. Its scaled approach over time allows us to build lower carbon innovation into our plans, so we can all be part of the clean energy economy.
- TCI will boost the region’s economy. State revenue, regional GDP and disposable incomes are all projected to grow under TCI. So even if prices at the pump increase slightly, they’re more than made up for with significant benefits.
- TCI can help address equity in the region. TCI states are prioritizing enhanced transparency, community engagement, and investments in equitable clean mobility solutions.
- Alliance for Automotive Innovation
- Ford Motor Company
- National Grid
- Shell Oil Company
Follow along as we help advance this opportunity to grow the economy, create jobs, make our air cleaner and our communities healthier at the same time.
Model rule & draft implementation planBusinesses encourage governors to join the Transportation and Climate Initiative Program (TCI-P) and take this major step to
North CarolinaNorth Carolina can curb carbon and grow its economy at the same time. TCI-P puts a price on carbon in the transportation sector
D.C.D.C. can curb carbon and grow its economy at the same time. Mayor Muriel Bowser signed the Transportation and Climate Initiative